Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Benefits on the road

Benefits are one word which is synonymously associated with insurance. It’s how much you can get it matters. Especially in case of car insurance or auto insurance as they say. What else you can get from your car insurance besides coverage for damage to your car, medical coverage for you, a lien to third party, security in case it’s stolen. How about a car repair service when you are stranded in middle of night or middle of nowhere. What are the odds that you will be in such a situation? May be once in a life time or may be more if you are one of those who don’t really care about your vehicle. So should one go for such kind of benefit by shelling out few extra dollars? Well then that’s what insurance is all about covering the unseen risks.

This happened with me when my friend coaxed me into such kind of coverage, with an extra premium of $10. When your best friend is an insurance advisor, you do certain things just for the heck of it.

It was few years down the line when Heather (My Wife) & I were driving to Las Vegas for celebrating our first marriage anniversary. I was quite excited about this trip, something which I dreamt right from my teenage years. Driving in the middle of desert with a car full of gas, your lovely wife besides you heading to your dream destination things could not have been better. We decided to continue our journey even in night. It was around 11:10pm, the rear wheel of my convertible went bust. My wheels have gone bust many a times but never broke a sweat about it, as it has happened either in city or downtown. This time slowly I got out of the car, looked at the busted tyre cursed my luck. Looked around it was pitch black no one around, then I saw Heather looking at me with despair . She asked me to replace it with spare wheel. Well I tried to recollect last time when I changed the wheel, forget it I have never changed the wheel. Now Heather started getting cold, started looking for help & for some strange reason there was nothing available not evens a single transport. We checked our map & as luck would have it we were exactly in middle of nowhere & the first motel on the either was at a distance of 63 mph. Heather & me both sat down, it was 12:00 in night. We looked at each other & then we kissed wishing Happy Anniversary. I looked around once again this was not my idea of anniversary. Suddenly I got a call from my friend James (insurance advisor) to wish me. I told him about our situation. Guess what he reminded of my benefit of having the car repaired in my auto insurance. I asked for the hotline number of this service provider, he assured me no worries he will ask someone from insurance centre to call you. Now I was waiting for the call, it took 17 long minutes to call them. Finally I got the call , spoke with the call centre agent gave out my insurance details, location of my car , & what exactly is the problem . I asked her how much time it will take she said by one hour somebody should be there. She asked is there anything else she can do, I asked what else can be done, she answered any food & drinks. I ordered for a double crest pizza & a bottle of red wine.

After I hung up, I looked at Heather; we sat on the bonnet of our car looking up in the sky & started talking just like old times. It was around quarter to 2 in night a huge Van approached our car, they were from the insurance provider. A tall lean fellow Thomas came out with few forms, he handed it over to me asking me to fill it, inspected the wheel. He went inside the van & came out with pizza & wine (there was an extra charge towards it). Heather & I dug into the warm pizza & enjoyed the wine. After the tyre was replaced, Thomas told we can resume our journey & gave his card in case of any other trouble.

Heather & I was delighted to get into the car, we started once again. I thanked God, Thomas, the insurance provider & my best friend James most of all. Who said it’s not wise to have your best friend as your insurance advisor ask me.

Autonational Route Planner helps you to plan your journey in the UK, Ireland and Europe. With Journey Planner you can get help to plan your starts & destinations getting quick routes and driving directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment